Welcome, Let's make healthy cooking simple and easy!

Welcome, Let's make healthy cooking simple and easy together!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Spices and more

 Last night I made this wonderful dinner! Delicious, light, and easy! It takes less the 6 minutes to make the fish. Don't you love the dishware! I found this wonderful recipe in everyday food. Their light issue this month has so many great recipes. This fish is featured with a lemony rice which looks wonderful as well but I had potatoes and broccoli so that's what we had.  Instead of steaming the fish over the rice, I just out my steamer and steamed it on its own for 4-5 minutes. Broccoli recipe to follow and baked potato fries are tomorrow.


To make this delicious fish I had to grind up some coriander, one of my favorite spices. So I thought y'all might like to see how I do that. It's really easy. 


First get our your whole spice, mine is coriander seeds(I actually grew these last year, they come from the cilantro plant, you can also plant these and get cilantro) and your coffee grinder. I suggest buying a coffee grinder specifically for this unless you want your coffee to taste like spices. 
Put your seeds in the coffee grinder and grind away.  So much fun! I love kitchen tools, the boys really like doing this. Did you know that coriander is in most poultry/steak seasonings?

This is what you get, make sure you grind it good. I like to shake mine while grinding so I get all the seeds in there. 


Get out your handy dandy funnel and fill up an old empty, clean container.  Mine is already labeled as well. Easy peasy and free! I love it! 

For dessert the boys and I shared this. Homemade white chocolate macadamia nut granola, greek yogurt with vanilla paste and coarse sugar added, and lots of strawberries. 










Broccoli:
1 tbsp garlic oil ( I make my own but that's another post)
4 cups frozen or cooked broccoli
1/2 of zest and juice of a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
almonds or walnuts

(You can freeze lemon zest in ziploc bags for up to 4 months, great in cakes and dressings and vegetables)

1. Heat your oil and zest in a pan
2. Add broccoli, and nuts cook until hot or nutty smelling
3. salt and pepper to taste


Enjoy your day everyone!

No comments: