Welcome, Let's make healthy cooking simple and easy!

Welcome, Let's make healthy cooking simple and easy together!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

chicken fajita chili

I woke up to this face this morning.




Could you see me taking this boy to the gym? I think not, so I'm going to have a great run on our treadmill at home.




While the boys do some crafts. They love making trains with the pipe cleaners. 

And I'll also be sharing this wonderful recipe with you. chicken fajita chili. I totally just threw this together Monday and now it is one of my favorite soups.  I have two secret weapons for really good chili.


That's right cranberry grape juice and annato chile powder, a little sweet, a little hot. 
This soup is another pantry cleaner, I'm getting closer and closer to starting over fresh! The rest of this week and next week and Dekalb Farmer's Market here I come!

Chicken Fajita Chili:

12 cloves of garlic
2 chicken breasts poached and shredded
1 10 oz bag frozen diced onions (or one large onion diced)
1 green bell pepper
2 tbsp canned diced serranos
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup cranberry grape juice
4 cups of reserved chicken broth (you'll get this when cooking chicken)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of diced tomatoes and green chiles
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
1 10 oz bag frozen corn
Spices: feel free to use just plain chili powder if you don't have all of these
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander
1tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp annato chile powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp celery seed



poaching chicken:

2 bay leaves
1tbsp whole or ground allspice
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp whole peppercorns
1 tbsp celery seed
1/4 cup salt
3-5 chicken breasts
7 cups of water
1. Put all your ingredients in a pot and boil for 1 1/2 hours, you can do this in a crock pot as well.
2. Reserve four cups of the liquid (try to not get the big spices in reserved liquid)
(I like to do this early in the week and then I have chicken for the whole week to do whatever I want    with)

Roasting Garlic: 
12 cloves of garlic separated (I keep mine in the casing, so they don't burn)
1tsp olive oil
1. Oven at 250
2.  Put garlic and olive oil on a baking sheet
3. Bake 45 min until brown NOT black
( I do huge batches of this and either refrigerate or freeze.)

Chili:
1. Put onion, bell pepper, and serrano in pot with some oil and soften
2. Add spices and flour, let it cook about a minute until the spices smell fragant
3.  Add wine, and grape juice, make sure everything combines, this is so you don't get lumps
4. Add chicken broth bring to boil
5. Put all canned tomatoes in a food processor, mush all garlic out of casings into processor as well, and blend it all up ( I love grinding up food, it's just fun)
6. Add to soup with shredded chicken and let cook about 45 minutes.
7. Add beans and corn and let cook about 15 minutes until corn is hot
8. I served mine with Aunt Jemima cornbread ( I do not recommend, it was not very good) but any other kind of cornbread would be great.








No comments: